This amplifier arrived at my shack in very poor condition, it had been stored in a damp shed in the Adelaide Hills with the second TS-50S and the case was rusted and there was some corrosion on the metal work inside. It cleaned up well and I painted it with the same grey Colour Bond paint I have used on other item in the shack. I have not managed to test it under power output conditions yet to see if the output tubes are still OK, I suspect I will need a new pair of 4CX250's or similar when I borrow a big enough dummy load to test it. I cannot test it on air as I do not have a big enough antenna tuner but I do have the parts to make one when I get the time.
I did get quite a scare when I eventually powered it up and turned on the EHT. There was a loud BANG and several diodes in the EHT supply simply vanished. I could not find any reason for this happening so I replaced the diodes, and now the EHT looks to be correct.
I do not like having power chords attached so I fitted an IEC power socket.
Back to the shack equipment pages
Back to the Ham Radio pages
Back to the Domestic Radio pages
Back to opening page
Written by and Copyright, Phil. Storr © Last updated 10th Spetember 2013