Trio 9R59DS Communications Receiver
Click on the thumbnail images to see a larger image. Use the back button to return to this page.
This is a very nice valve receiver with a VR tube to keep the oscillators stable and a band spread dial on the Amateur bands.
I did not have to do much to this one but I did replace some of the electrolytics.
Recently another one in very poor shape arrived on my bench, thanks to Peter Holland. If Peter had given up on it, it sure must have been a basket case. On opening it up I found the following:
- The power supply had been "ripped out".
- The Mode switch had been "chopped out"
- The front end valve sockets had been extensivley re wired and the RF Amplifier valve was not a 6BA6 by the connections I could see. The coil assembly seemed to be untouched when I compared it with my good 9R-59DS.
- There was a strange addition of a 12AX7 behind the volume control and by the components used I suspect this was some sort of tone speech filter. Sure was not original, Philips and Ducon components of the 1960 had been used. The valve socket hole in the chassis for this addition looked like it was made when the chassis was stamped and I have seen there were some suggested modifications in the user manual. Perhaps this was a later one of these.
- There were additional 220pF capacitors accross some of the IF coils and the BFO coil.
- Tracks on the circuit boards around the heater wiring of some of the valves had been cut and links fitted to somewhere ?. I supect they were being rewired for other valves but they was no valves in some of these sockets.
- The S meter had been replaced with one from a "junk box". I will have a rummage for one that fits the hole better and perhaps even make a new scale.
- All the knobs were missing.
Decision time, is it worth going any further ?. After having a carefull look at the front end coils and switching I decided 'Harry" may not have messed with these and so I may be able to rescue it if the following is all OK: The power transformer, the IF coils and the BFO coil.
A good scrub with Metal Clean used by automotive refinishers (almost full strength phosphoric acid I think) and a good wash and blow dry, the chassis looks a lot better that it did when it arrived on the bench. VK5HY, Horst lusted after one of these to use with a BoatAnchor transmitter he is building so I passed the project on to him. Horst has it working very well again and I will tell this story some day soon.
Back to the Communication Receiver page
Back to the Ham Radio Shack Equipment pages
Back to the Ham Radio pages
Back to the Domestic Radio pages
Back to opening page
Written by and Copyright, Phil. Storr © Last updated 16th September 2013